About

I am a recent graduate of Champlain College with a B.Sc. in game design and development. During the last four years, my work has been focused on my education. Since then I've had time to decompress. I want to reflect on what I have learned. To do this, I plan to look at and examine video games from my past by exploring my memories of them, while also looking at the mechanics and little intricacies I now notice. Each week, I plan to examine a video game from my past. During this time I may feel the need to throw in a current title that has impressed me or to write about a title that I am looking forward to being released.


Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lemmings: Levels

In Tricky Level 7, the process isn’t difficult, but not building the stairs correctly or by putting stopping lemmings too close together it can make this level quite hard. Little things start to get annoying like starting to build stairs too late and having the lemming hit the platform edge and start walking back or exploding a stopper lemming only to break the first set of stairs and have the rest of the lemmings fall to their death. This is the first level that really tested my patients, forcing me to pay closer attention, and even then it took me awhile to beat. Once past this level the rest of Tricky uses similar technique of using blockers to limit lemming flow, while using one or two lemmings to create the needed path, primarily using stairs, to reach the exit. The only level that I didn’t recall was the last level of Tricky, which was the first level to contain two lemming spawn points with one exit in the middle.

The first level in Taxing really kicks Lemmings to the next level limiting the amount of abilities while requiring 99 of 100 lemmings to be rescued. It is quickly apparent that there will be no gimmie levels anymore. I remembered this first level quite well, but can’t seem to remember how I beat it. All I can remember is getting stuck a lot and that stupid rope thing that hangs lemmings to their demise. After failing a few times due to the low number of tools given a little out-of-the-box thinking allowed me to bypass the section that was giving me trouble. However the time limit that completely slipped my mind, mainly because it has never hindered me before, killed all the lemmings that would soon have been saved. Needless to say it doesn’t get any easier, in Taxing Level 2 there are even more traps, such as water, 10 ton weight, and two snap-claws. Careful planning will be needed to beat the rest of this Taxing difficulty, but there is nothing out of the ordinary here, just straight up lemmings.

This is when I realize that beating this game from start to finish is not as easy as I first thought.

Next week I plan to take a break from Lemmings to focus on another title.

No comments: